Position Vacant – Graduate Environmental Consultant – Waste Assessor and Educator (Sydney)
To join and support our growing consulting team, we are looking for a Graduate Environmental Consultant. Candidates should have a genuine interest in the waste and recycling industry in Australia and relevant work experience, preferably in waste or with an economics, planning or engineering background.
MRA Consulting Group is seeking a graduate consultant located in the Sydney metropolitan area for an immediate start for the remaining 4 months of a 12-months program, concluding 27th August 2021. There will be opportunities for intrastate travel.
What you can expect:
MRA’s success has been built on the skills and experience of a multidisciplinary team of professionals, which includes engineers, scientists, economists, planners, lawyers, social scientists and educators. The team shares a common focus, delivering quality project outcomes for our clients. This focus has meant that MRA maintains a position at the forefront of Australian waste and recycling management practices, working on key and innovative projects. You will join a dynamic team, working closely with our Audit and Education staff on education projects for the private and the government sectors.
Key capacities and skills:
- Environmental science/engineering/management, planning or any related discipline
- Interest in sustainability and waste management
- Proven time management skills
- Problem solver who thinks outside the box
- Profound and professional communication and presentational skills
- Ability to work in an innovative manner
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to work autonomously
- Maintain internal and external stakeholder engagement
- Right to work in Australia with no restrictions and valid for the duration of the program
- Hold a valid NSW drivers’ licence (Class C) and vehicle
- Ability to travel domestically
About the role:
The NSW waste sector is going through a period of significant growth with a systematic infrastructure investment and community engagement programs under way. With the cost of waste disposal on the increase, recycling is not only good for the environment but a cost-effective option for many businesses.
The state-wide program has been designed to engage businesses and provide them with the knowledge and tools needed to change current practices. The program is made up of a four-stage process which includes:
- Approach and recruit businesses into the program,
- Undertake waste assessments for businesses,
- Development of tailored strategies for businesses to divert waste from landfill, and
- Provide continuous support to businesses throughout each stage of the program.
The main responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Delivering the program, including:
- Field waste assessments
- Data collection, incl. field work
- Data Entry
- External stakeholder engagement
- Participating in program activities including but not limited to:
- Working in the field under the supervision of the project manager or audit coordinator
- Develop in an area of waste management
As an MRA team member you will be expected to:
- Use your project work as an opportunity to develop a sound understanding of the waste industry (through background reading, reading current publications, attending relevant seminars etc. where advised)
- Attend fortnightly team and project relevant meetings and inductions and training sessions
- Ensure you have the information you require to undertake any work given to you and to inform the project manager where you are unsure
- To show a positive attitude to taking on work, subject to your availability (and university commitments if relevant)
- To show a positive attitude to taking on work
- Self-starter and enthusiastic to learn
Salary negotiable from $53k-$55k
This is a great opportunity for someone who is a self-starter and who wants to make a real difference improving resource efficiency and waste management systems.
For further information and confidential discussion, email Doris McDonald-Seaton on [email protected] or call our office on 02 8541 6169.
About MRA Consulting Group:
MRA is one of Australia’s leading environmental consultancy firms, specialising in all aspects of business and policy reform. We are experts in waste, resource recovery and technology, climate change, carbon and sustainable development, and our vision of the future is one that is both environmentally sustainable and economically rational.
MRA has an established record working with public and private sector clients across Australia. MRA’s main office is based in Sydney, with additional offices in Melbourne and Albury. MRA has 35+ staff members made up of engineers, environmental scientist, planners, economists and lawyers. Our clients include Top 500 companies, major waste generators, waste and recycling companies, new technology providers and local, State and Federal governments. MRA was voted the Best Small Consultancy in Australia for the recycling and waste sector in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2020 by the readers on Inside Waste.
The application form will include these questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have a current Australian driver’s licence?
- How many years of people management experience do you have?
- How many years’ experience do you have in a consulting role?
- Do you have experience in a role which requires relationship management experience?