Waste education internship
MRA is inviting recent graduates to get a glimpse at consulting by interning in our Education team. Candidates should have a background in environmental science and a strong and genuine interest in waste education and the waste and resource recovery industry.
What you can expect
You will attend our Sydney office and get to work along a dynamic and multidisciplinary team of professionals, including engineers, scientists, economists, planners, lawyers, social scientists and educators in the delivery of quality project outcomes for our clients.
You will be expected to:
- Use your tasks as an opportunity to develop a sound understanding of the waste industry (through background reading, reading current publications, attending relevant seminars etc. where advised)
- Attend fortnightly team meetings
- Ensure you have the information you require to undertake any tasks given to you and to inform the project manager or business director where you are unsure
- Show a positive attitude to taking on work, subject to your availability (and university commitments if relevant)
- Be a self-starter and enthusiastic to learn
You can also expect to be challenged – we work in a fast-paced environment and often there are many balls to juggle.
Key capacity and skills
- Within 1 year of completion of Bachelor or Master in community engagement, social research, education or communications
- Interest in education, sustainability, community engagement and waste management
- Data analysis and modelling skills
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Strong communication skills
- Report writing skills
- Ability to work in an innovative manner
- Ability to work in a team
The main responsibilities of this role include:
- Assisting your team in:
- Research (e.g. Into legislation, technology types)
- Data collection
- Data analysis
- Finalising reports
- Assisting bid managers to compile bids and proposals for future work
- Participating in other project activities including but not limited to:
- Working in the field under the supervision of a project manager or audit supervisor
- Develop in an area of organics waste management
Method of working
You will gain experience across all the units within MRA. You will be required to undertake this work through:
- Liaison with MRA staff either over the phone or face to face or via email
- Summarising qualitative research in text documents
- Collating quantitative research in excel documents
- Active participation in project activities
- Attending meetings
Internships in MRA consulting are unpaid positions for no longer than 3 months. We prefer availability of 3-5 days per week.
If this opportunity is of interest, please forward your CV, a cover letter (email) and an example of your academic writing (assessment paper, etc.) to Zoe Watkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office on 02 8541 6169.